.Net framework is a software platform developed by Microsoft to create window-based applications. It also builds web services, websites, and games. The first version of the .Net framework was first released in 2002. Programmers can use it to build web-based and form-based applications on the web, desktop, IOT (Internet of Things), mobile, and servers.
The software is free because it’s an open-source platform. Also, it works with a wide range of popular programming languages.
.Net Framework Architecture
This architecture allows the integration of different programming languages by availing an execution environment. This makes it easy to develop and deploy applications. The architecture comprises several components namely;
The class library involves a collection of types, functions, and methods used for common purposes across applications. There are methods for:
- Writing files
- Reading files
- Connecting files to databases
Common Language Runtime
CLR, or Common Language Runtime, is an execution engine for the framework. It executes the Common Language Infrastructure or CLI code by converting it to languages that are understood by its machine. Besides running the applications, it has other important features which include the following:
- Exception handling: Exceptions are errors and happen when the application is executed.
- Garbage collection: This is the process of getting rid of irrelevant or unwanted resources.
- Type safety: It prevents the contents of one type from spilling into the memory allocated for the other item.
- Thread management: It enables the application to perform tasks faster and better.
Applications created in the software are classified into different categories. These are:
- ASP.Net- They are used for developing applications that are web-based and run on browsers such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, or Firefox.
- WinForms-They are used for developing applications that are forms-based and run on a computer belonging to an end-user.
- ADO.Net-They are used for developing applications to interact with databases such as Microsoft SQL server or Oracle.
Below are the steps involved in creating components and applications in .Net:
- Install the software and choose a version that is capable of running your application
- Pick the language you will use in creating your application. You can choose Visual Basic, C#, C++, F#, or IronRuby.
- Install a development environment when creating your applications.
Advantages Of Using the .Net Framework For Businesses
Below are several benefits of using this software for your business application development:
- Language And Platform Interoperability-You can use diverse languages, including F#, C#, and others. Also, this makes it possible for a single language to access other languages.
- Version Compatibility-You wouldn’t need to modify when you decide to use newer versions of the program.
- Security-The framework has a robust security mechanism that requires validation on your applications before granting access to a new user.
Basically, NET is a program that Microsoft created for making applications in a window OS. As a new user, it’s important to seek expert guidance to get the maximum benefits of Net. You can Leverage it for personal or commercial use.